Here’s a quick and delicious brunch recipe to wow your guests and make holidays feel extra special. This Overnight French Toast maximizes convenience, because it allows you to make it a day or two beforehand; just pop it in the oven 30 min before you’re ready to serve it the next day! There are several variations to make this dish never get old: blueberries, raspberries, streusel topping, blueberry sauce, etc.). You can even freeze it for up to 2 months, see pro-tips below!
This recipe combines the best of two recipes from Sally's Baking Addition and All Recipes into one delicious brunch treat! As always, we recommend using an Unsifted Simple Sandwich Bread of course. This featured picture uses the optional fresh blueberry sauce and is soooo delicious!!
Happy Unsifted Baking!
- Keira and Sarah
Unsifted Overnight French Toast
**Prefer a hard copy? Checkout the beautiful professionally printed recipe card for Overnight French Toast HERE**
PREP: 15 minutes
ADDITIONAL: 3+ hours
COOK: 30 minutes
SERVINGS: 10 servings
French Toast Ingredients:
|4 cups||Simple Sandwich Bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (divided)
(approx. 8 slices)
|1 (8 oz) package||cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|1 cup||blueberries, fresh (or berry of your choice!)|
|1 1/2 cups||milk|
|2 tsp||vanilla extract|
|1 tbsp||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp||ground nutmeg (optional)|
|1/2 cup||sucanat (alt: brown sugar)|
Optional Topping Variations:
|1 cup||organic cane sugar (alt: white sugar)|
|2 tbsp||cornstarch (alt: arrowroot powder or Unsifted flour)|
|1 cup||blueberries, fresh|
|1 tbsp||unsalted butter|
(approximately 1/3 cup Unsifted flour)
|1/3 cup||sucanat (alt: brown sugar)|
|1/2 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp||ground nutmeg|
|6 tbsp||unsalted butter, cold and cubed|
French Toast Instructions:
Cut slices of Simple Sandwich Bread into 1 inch cubes and place in bag until ready
Pro-tip: Day old bread works great here. I personally like slightly dryer bread for French Toast and this recipe is no different, so I leave my bag unsealed for a day so the cubes can dry out a bit.
- Lightly grease a medium sized baking dish
- In baking dish, layer the following evenly (in the order listed):
* 2 cups cubed bread
* 1 package cubed cream cheese
* 1 cup blueberries
* 1 1/2-2 cups cubed bread
(spread on top until covered, or as desired)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 6 eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 cup sucanat until no lumps remain
- Pour liquid mixture over layered bread
- Press gently on top, to coat bread with liquid mixture
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (3-4 hours minimum if in a pinch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and remove French toast from refrigerator to warm slightly before baking
- (optional) Make and add streusel now if using this topping option
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, until center is firm and top is lightly browned
Blueberry Sauce Instructions:
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water
- Bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly
- Add 1 cup fresh blueberries and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes, until the blueberries pop
- Stir in butter, and pour over baked French Toast
- Mill 1/4 cup Dessert Berry Blend on "pastry" setting
- In a medium bowl, mix 1/3 cup sucanat, all Unsifted flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cut in the cold cubed butter with a fork or pastry cutter, until only small chunks remain
- Sprinkle topping over soaked bread
- Don't like blueberries? You can swap them out for raspberries, strawberries, or your berry of choice or omit all together!
- Refrigerator: You can prep this French toast 1-2 days in advance, cover tightly, and store in your refrigerator. When ready, just let come to temperature while the oven pre-heats and bake. Add the optional streusel right before baking.
- Freezing: Prepare the recipe through covering with plastic wrap, but instead of placing in the refrigerator, freeze for up to 2 months. For use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bake as directed. Add the optional streusel right before baking.
- This recipe is the PERFECT use of older bread. Don't let anything go to waste, instead if you happen to have bread that is not getting eaten (but not moldy of course!), simply cube it and place it in a freezer bag. Then you can thaw the cubes and make this yummy recipe even more easily!
- Make sure you use a good quality cream cheese, because you will taste it. I recommend full fat for this application.
Keywords: Whole Grain blueberry French toast casserole, make ahead French toast casserole, Whole wheat French toast casserole, homemade French toast casserole, fresh flour French Toast casserole,